A bunch of years ago, my wife had driven across country from Rochester, NY to Seattle, WA to visit with family. Following our visit, we were takeing a relatively leisurely drive back home. We had spent part of a day in Rapid City, SD where we saw Mt Rushmore and a couple other attractions. We were no back on the road heading east. We planned to drive for a few hours and stay at a motel, and visit one of the places where Laura Ingalls Wilder had grown up next day.
This is where things had gone wrong. I was sleeping in the passenger seat of my 1987 Acura Integra as my wife drove. The first thing I was aware of following that was leaving the hospital. Apparently while I was sleeping, my wife had fallen asleep at the wheel briefly on I-90 near Wall, SD. She veered off the left. When she awoke, she over steered to the right sending us off the road. She says she saw us toward a pond near the road so she hit the brakes. This is when the car rolled. I do not remember the ambulance ride back to Rapid City. My wife tells me that I repeatedly asked “What happened? Is my wife okay? Is the car okay? What happened?” I do not remember the hospital at all. I do not remember holding my wife’s jewelry as she had an MRI. She is lucky I didn’t give it away to the first person that came along. The first point at which I was aware was while we were waiting in the hospital pharmacy as we getting ready to leave. The nice people at the hospital had got us a room at a nearby motel. I remember walk walking to the motel wearing paper slippers from the hospital as I wasn’t wearing my shoes as I was napping in the car. I also hadn’t wearing my glasses, so everything was blurry.
At the motel we were going through my Day Runner. I kept asking my wife questions. I was so out of it, that I didn’t remember if we had the accident on our way to Seattle, or on the way back home. I was going through the calendar and asking her if we saw these people, or those people. I didn’t even remember salmon fishing on the Pacific Ocean with my father in law.
We contacted our insurance company, and the next day the insurance adjuster came and picked me up at the motel, we drove out the see the car. My Acura was twisted. I grabbed my glasses, and my shoes. It was good to be able to see clearly again. I began gathering our belongings from the ruined car. We had had a cooler in the back of the car with frozen salmon on dry ice. The tow truck driver had kept it for me, but I told him to keep it and enjoy it. I loaded our stuff into the adjuster’s car. He was very nice. We had met so many helpful people.
I got all of stuff back to the motel. I had loaded the car with stuff that I had stored at my Mom’s house. So now I had various tools such as a scroll saw, and other stuff here. We visited the local grocery store, and got some boxes and boxed all the stuff up as best we could.
We set about trying to figure out how to get home. I looked at renting a car, but did not have a credit card. Family members in Seattle offered to use their credit cards to rent a car for us, but we would need the card to pick up the car. I contacted the corporation I work for that has a travel department. They would help me rent a car with National, but unfortunately National didn’t do one way rentals. My brother wired us some money, and we ended up buying some bus tickets back to Rochester, NY.
The initial legs were okay. We were on feeder lines that I believe were operated by Jackrabbit. We shared the buses with many interesting people. One of our fellow passengers was a monk, and he was very funny with a great sense of humor.
My wife was still hurting from some of the cuts she had received. I was recovering from my concussion.
Eventually we left the feeder lines, and then got to the main Greyhound lines. This is where things went downhill. I remember one place where we were transferring buses. I saw them loading our luggage on a bus, but the bus was labeled Los Angeles. I asked where the bus was going, and it was confirmed that the bus was going to Los Angeles. I pointed to our luggage that they had just loaded on the Los Angeles bus, and they unloaded it. A short while later were on the correct bus with our luggage.
At a later place we were on a bus waiting to get going. Our next stop left us a half hour layover which was kind of tight. A man got on the bus and said there was an express bus going, and asked if anyone wanted to go on that bus. Due to the tight layover, we said we would go on that bus. Soon we were on the “express” bus. We asked about our luggage, and he ask when our connecting bus was supposed tp leave. We told him, and he said our luggage would make it fine on the other bus. I pointed out that our last bus had been 45 minutes late getting in. He ordered me to sit down. I asked him for his name. Again he ordered me to sit down. Again I asked him his name. He told me to get off of his bus. Shortly thereafter security people came on the bus and took me off. They fortunately put us back on the first bus with our luggage. Our bus was late getting in, and we missed our connecting bus. Funny thing is that the “express” bus came in AFTER our non express bus.
So now we had a 6 hour layover in a very uncomfortable bus depot. There were few seats, and people were forced to sit on the hard floor. I saw signs everywhere talking about investing in Greyhound. With a quick look around, I guessed I was one of the few people that was likely to be investing in stocks, and after my experiences, I sure wasn’t investing any money into Greyhound!
Eventually we made it to the bus depot in downtown Rochester, and we took an expensive cab ride home.
The first thing I did when I got home was fill out one of the many credit card applications I got in the mail all the time. Meanwhile a friend of mine rented a car for us to use while we went shopping for a new car. I don’t ever want to ride long distance on a bus again. I am leery about trains as they might be too much like buses. My wife never wants to see Rapid City again. On long distance drives, I do most if not all the driving, but we have never driven cross country back to Seattle again. Now we always fly there.